Sunday 4 December 2011

Bah humbug Dole and Bengard


I was delighted to be able to buy cauliflowers this summer at the farmers’ market for an “each” price.  

I hate buying a cauliflower and paying really top prices like $1.99 a pound, and then I open it up and find that fully one-third of it is waste and which bumps the price up to about $2.50 a pound. For a cauliflower! C'mon, a cauliflower.



I’ve found this with Dole cauliflowers and Bengard caulies which are from Salinas CA. What a scam.

I wrote to the president of Safeway: I'd much rather you took your suppliers on, and got your customers a better deal on cauliflowers. Much better you spent your time on that, than coming up with stuff like that phony-baloney campaign where you  make your overworked cashiers pause after they print it out the bill, find our names in that weird light blue, almost unreadable, ink and say, “Thank you Mrs. So & So.  Have-a-good-one!”

Please.

They don’t have a clue who I am, and neither of us cares. You are not my friendly neighbourhood greengrocer: you're a giant multinat, so let's drop the pretense that your cashier is ever going to remember me when I go back.

I’d much rather have 75 cents a pound off my cauliflower, Mr. President. You could say: "Look here, Dole: cut some of that greenage off the cauliflowers eady. I don't want my  customers paying for greenage they have to toss in the trash."

But no.

He never bothered to write back.

No comments:

Article: "3 Common Pitfalls in Memoir Queries" by Jane Friedman

Read about these 3 common pitfalls in memoir queries , by Jane Friedman. About Jane Her blog is here . She says, " I report on the book...